Good with words

Fear... distractions.... the efforts of a self-employed writer to pay the mortgage.... all that jazz.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Layers and layers

We have a 70-year-old barometer that needs tuning. To do this, you need to find out the current air pressure, divide it by 0.0something, then times it by the centimetres of mercury and stand upside down to read the weather forecast. Or at least that's what I think you are supposed to do. These things are obviously mainly for experts and weather geeks.

Buses in Swindon all had names and were frequently to be found. In Silverton, there are no buses. We are so far in the country that buses fear to tread here.

That's enough about geeks. Let me tell you about layers. I am wearing three: a vest, a jumper, and Steve's fleecy dressing gown. I am still quite cold. Is there a limit on the amount of layers you can wear? Like a piece of paper, that can only be folded a certain number of times? I suppose there probably isn't, but I will find out soon. The only real problem will be when I can't move my arms to type.

Work-wise, it has been an extremely good day. Apart from being distracted by my blog, and other people's, I have done some email copy for a toy company and also some for a hamper company. (They have marvellous hampers, including a special Breakfast tray, and designer hampers for babies.) Tomorrow I will be working on a brochure for an entrepeneur in Surrey (that's where they all live, you know - in the mansions bought from their whopping London pay packets) who is setting up a business offering to record people reading their wills.

It is a bit of a gloomy topic, probably. One selling point is that you get to speak to your family from beyond the grave. You could say some fun stuff, eh? Now there's a moment for complete honesty. You could spill all the family secrets and tell everyone who has been doing what behind whose else's backs. It'd be a great play.

After that, I will be researching things for my new fashion advice column, believe it or not. And you won't. I don't know how I will write about knee-length tweed shorts with a straight face. Specially as I am sitting here in a man's dressing gown.

And, as always, hoping the mortgage will pay itself.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Liz Hinds said…

    Recording people reading their wills? Csn only see that working for fairly arrogant people. Maybe the rich and famous of Surrey. Then, as you say, it could be fun. But way too upsetting for most people.

    Three is nothing when it comes to layers. When I were a little girl, way back in't days afore central heating, I wore more more layers than that to go to bed.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger jodes da princess said…

    I wore 10 layers once. emptied my mates wardrobe and put it all on. not sure why, looking back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home