Good with words

Fear... distractions.... the efforts of a self-employed writer to pay the mortgage.... all that jazz.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Playing with the big girls

I haven't posted about work for a while, which is probably for a few reasons:
1. I have been writing about some truly dull stuff, like hackers, gritting the roads, letting houses, and computer software.
2. After an intensely busy period, I found myself suddenly twiddling thumbs wondering where January's wages will come from, and
3. I have been Very Busy formulating The Great January Get-Working Plan. (So far only two pages.)

So, here is a very boring post about the amateur copywriter's conundrum.

Well, it isn't that I'm an amateur. I mean, how can anyone who comes up with "We won't beat about the bush. That's your job" be disrespected? But because of the route I took to freelance copywriting - lacking proper, city experience, big brand names, or agency contacts - I'm hardly facing the big time.

And here's the big news: a famous, international, big-wowsers fashion brand is looking for a writer. What's more, an agency in London thought I might have what it takes, and - da-da-da-da-daaaaa - has forwarded some of my work for consideration. Which you might think would have me dancing in my home office, but actually, is too big and scary to contemplate. Just think. Somewhere, in a busy city office, my feeble little CV is batted from desk to desk, probably the source of much amusement and hilarity.

The whole thing has kind of bummed me out.

It's happened before - with Selfridges. An agency lady rang me, I sent samples across, she sent it all to the client, and nothing happened. It wasn't a big surprise, but I was holding my breath all the same. Is this my big break? But the answer was inevitably no.

Thing is, when is my big break? I can talk the talk; when do I get to walk the walk, and how do I do it without having any actual proper walking practice?

No, I don't know either. Aretha Franklin's the answer. And mince pies.

(In further thrilling work news, am meeting with new client on Monday r.e. engineering project: copy about water meters and gas thermometers. From one extreme to another.)

3 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Clare said…

    Oh I hope it goes well! I'll keep things crossed.
    I know what you mean (sort of). I did work experience at a school the other day with some speech therapists. I realised that this was really what I wanted to do, and have talked the talk on all the application forms, but, whoa, can I see myself doing it? not in a million years!

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Anna, in my book you are already up with the greats. I have followed your career so far and I know you work hard, take opportunities when they arise and have EVERY reason to feel proud rather than perplexed.

    So, please, more self back-slapping, more self belief and less putting self down!

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Ah! Thanks, Shirl! I am enjoying it, which I think is the most important thing. And working for myself is an achievement in itself. I'm always amazed that I've been paying the bills for almost 2 years, entirely self-powered!

    Nothing from (can I say who it is? Well, it begins with G, and ends with P, and there's only one letter in the middle) yet. One day I'll get in to a bleeping answer-machine and some truly great news...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home