Good with words

Fear... distractions.... the efforts of a self-employed writer to pay the mortgage.... all that jazz.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ode to Autumn

Thought I'd join in with the seasonal celebrations taking place all over Blogworld.

We are very, very lucky to live in the middle of Devon, 10 minutes from a large National Trust estate. The National Trust owns almost all the land in this area, including half of the next village along, several farms, and acres and acres and acres of land that we walk on every day - which includes a fishing river, hills, woodland and the house itself. It's such a spectacular day today that I thought I would take some photographs (to Holly's dismay).

Here are the trees behind Killerton House, many of which were imported by the gardener, who must have had a real vision for the grounds, since most of these would have been tiny when he put them in!



I like imagining I used to live in these places, with a butler to fetch my tea, and a horse-drawn carriage to take me everywhere in silk gowns. This would have been my drive...

This is the front elevation....

Here's the chapel that was built for the Killerton estate family and workers...


Here's the pooch playing her favourite game in the grounds.


"Yeah, yeah, they're trees. Can I PLEASE have my stick now?"

2 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    Recently started jogging again in the evenings just before it gets dark. The brown leaves and the early setting sun definitely make autumn my favourite season.

     
  • At 2:55 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Mine too! Bonfire smoke and fiery leaves - what's not to love...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home