Good with words

Fear... distractions.... the efforts of a self-employed writer to pay the mortgage.... all that jazz.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Master of none


One of my favourite Bridget Jones moments is when her news editor asks her to report on the judgement on a political case that has been dragging on for months. Bridget looks vacant. He sighs and fills her in on the details of the case, and she raises her eyebrows. "Well, that's exciting!" says Bridget.

It is difficult acting as though I keep up with everything. I do my best to stay on top of organic and ethical issues, identity fraud, fashion and all the home interior companies on the market, but people still topple me with references to new companies/stories/issues that they know very well, being immersed in their subject, but that I have never even heard of. I have to keep the look of interest and surprise off my face or out of my tone. "M-hm, m-hm," I agree, solemnly, as though I am perfectly aware what biometrics and puffballs are. Sure I am going to get caught out one day.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Liz Hinds said…

    Are puffballs mushrooms?

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Possibly, but also a type of skirt. Unattractive as that sounds.

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When faced with something you do not know about in a meeting, it usually embarrasses those present far more than you if you say: I am not well-versed / au fait /up to speed with *this topic* (insert correct theme making sure it IS the correct one) but I will go away and research it thoroughly. Perhaps you could give me some pointers?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home