Good with words

Fear... distractions.... the efforts of a self-employed writer to pay the mortgage.... all that jazz.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Housekeeping goddessry


Since Anthea Turner's series finished I find myself in a sea of jumbled laundry, white vinegar, and labels that I have no idea what to do with. I'm all fuddled without her organisational tips and domestic methodry! But all is not lost. I have discovered Martha Stewart.

She's clearly the original Anthea - her website is an encyclopaedia of how-tos for the domestically challenged. Sorting laundry into labelled baskets, organising the airing cupboard, how to fold a fitted sheet (by the way, did anyone ever manage Anthea's T-shirt folding technique? I have tried and tried but it always ends up with crumpled t-shirts and an almighty sulk).

I wish Martha lived nextdoor to me. In the meantime, I'm settling with her wonderful video-taped genius.

By the way, I did discover this website legitimately - it's the only comprehensive source of spring-cleaning tips on the web (and I am newly appointed domestic-goddess for a mail order company - ah, the irony). It includes a stain-busting bible and a lengthy video entitled 'how to iron a tablecloth' - which to be honest takes almost as long as my method of just laying the tablecloth on the table and letting it iron itself in its own time.

While I was there, I was also distracted by the pumpkin carving features. Steve and I carve pumpkins every year - small ones mind you, and it's hard as heck, but it's become a tradition we can't break. Martha's ideas are all rather grand for me, but she did make some by pinning fruit peels onto the pumpkin, which eliminates the tiresome carving itself. I will see how the carving goes this evening - if it gets too hard and my hands start to blister, perhaps I will stick on banana peel instead - and keep you posted...

If you're bored, this clip with Andy Dick ("the man with two first names!") is funny, especially since I think it wasn't quite planned and he really does get stuck... check out his face when he finally gets his head free...

Andy Dick and the Pumpkin>

3 Comments:

  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Clare said…

    I believe he seriously thought he was stuck in the pumpkin forever more...What a weird life that would be!

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    They would have had to drill him out!! Or, he could have kept it, and never had to buy a Halloween costume again.

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Clare said…

    I imagine it would begin to smell quite horrible...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home