Good with words

Fear... distractions.... the efforts of a self-employed writer to pay the mortgage.... all that jazz.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Books for Children

I have often wondered whether it is wrong to start building up a collection of children's books. For my unborn babies. They are expensive things, books, and you have to start sometime.

Steve and I usually buy our godson, Ryan, books. We have a brilliant time rolling about in the aisles of Waterstones, choosing the naughtiest and funniest ones.

My all-time favourite is 'The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew it Was None of His Business.' It is a picture book about a mole who wakes up one morning with a poo on his head (ringing some bells for me, you see), and sets out to find the culprit. Learning a lot about different sorts of poo in the process.


Other books we have bought for Ryan are 'Pants' and 'Dirty Bertie' (boy who eats stuff he finds on the floor, etc). And now on the shortlist are:

Where Willy Went! (amusing book about the facts of life) and
Jesus' Day Off.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger jodes da princess said…

    Anna, I think we're kindred spirits!! I bought the little mole book a few years ago to save for my little ones, and have since added Jesus' day off! I love them. there is also an amazing book I have been meaning to get called Dr dog, about what happens when you dont wash your hands!

    I have secret desires of being a writer, but I'm not sure I could cope with the amount of alone time.so I'm trying to cram it all into days off at the mo. not very motivating!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    The book about the mole with a pooh on his head looks pretty cool. I think I'll be paying a visit to Waterstone's during my lunch hour tomorrow!

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger Anna said…

    Am sadly not the sort of writer people aspire to be. I know this because I spend my days thinking of names for anti-wrinkle serums and trying to become a five-minute expert on Plymouth Argyle Football Club (who aren't much good). All in the name of the mortgage.

    Still, I get to do some fun stuff too - features on cream teas, articles telling people how to live more ethically, dishing our fashion advice, selling handbags! Better than working for a jelly-haired boss who watches the clock when you take a loo break, that's for sure.

    I once started writing a children's book about a little boy who liked to dress up as a girl. One day I will write a novel, but am not ready yet... writing for a living curdles the creativity, I'm sure of it. If only I'd thought of The Little Mole first!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home